Beto Perez’s stroke of genius has now become the world’s most sought after dance-fitness program. According to zumba.com, approximately 10 million people of all ages and fitness levels now “move fast and have fun”.
Did you Know?
- The word Zumba® comes from a Colombian word meaning “to move fast and have fun”
- It is estimated that participants in a Zumba® class can burn anywhere between 500-1,000 calories in one hour, although this depends on the individual and the level of exertion performed at
- Zumba® not only helps improve general fitness, but also improves balance, flexibility, tone and posture
- Zumba® workouts are conducted in over 110,000 locations in 125 countries
- Approximately 10 million participants take Zumba® classes every week
- If you cannot find a class near you, zumba.com offers a DVD workout as well
- There are over 550 Zumba® instructors and over 400 classes each week within 25 miles of San Jose, California
Seven-Oaks Zumba® conducted a survey among its female participants which revealed the following reasons for their joining Zumba® classes:
- For fun (31%)
- To keep fit (28%)
- To lose weight (24%)
- To make new friends (17%)
Zumba all Around
With over 110,000 locations offering Zumba®, it shouldn’t be too difficult to locate a class near you. Start by checking with your local health club. Some YMCA’s offer Zumba® and many communities are now offering classes through their recreation departments. To find a Zumba® class near you, visit zumba.com and enter your zip code.
Zumba® is aligned with the American Council on Exercise and other fitness education organizations, providing classes for every age and fitness level.
Zumba® for a Cause
Zumba® Fitness shares its success through annual Zumba®thons to raise funds for selected foundations. Miami’s first Zumba®thon in 2006 drew nearly a thousand participants, with proceeds given to the breast cancer survivors’ Quality of Life Fund.
Zumba®, Zumba Fitness® and the Zumba® Fitness logos are all registered trademarks of Zumba® Fitness, LLC.